Top Ten Reasons to Give to Charity
Eileen St. Pierre, The Everyday Financial Planner
My mother always says if you haven’t worn something in a year, get rid of it. Mom always knows best. As you are cleaning out your closets this spring, why not donate your items to charity?
My charity of choice is a local hospice thrift shop. I’m sure you can find an organization near and dear to your heart who will appreciate your stuff, or your time as a volunteer.
Here is a countdown of my top ten reasons to give to charity:
10. You get a really nice thank you letter.
9. Someone else would look great in that argyle sweater you weren’t able to return after Christmas.
8. Did someone say tax deduction?
7. $10 can go a long way in a Third World country.
6. Volunteering your time – priceless.
5. The free Christmas address labels
4. Your local food pantry needs your help – It’s time to clean out your cupboards anyway.
3. That Salvation Army bell ringer is kind of cute.
2. If I do the “Race for the Cure” I may just lose a few pounds.
1. It feels soooo good!
For help choosing a charity or determining the value of used items, visit my Charitable Giving column.